Some of the most common disputes among beneficiaries and executors of an estate are those involving distribution of assets. Timely involvement by an experienced probate attorney can help families come to an agreement without the expense and delay of litigation.
At The Law Offices of Kennedy & Jackson in Houston, Texas, our attorneys have decades of experience advising trustees, executors and beneficiaries in valuation and distribution of estates. Our two attorneys are each board-certified in estate planning and probate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and each is a frequent lecturer on estate planning topics to other lawyers throughout Texas.
The following are examples of disputes that often arise in distribution of estates:
- Maintenance and sharing of jointly owned assets such as vacation homes
- Determining who is responsible for taxes and other maintenance costs of real estate
- Disputes over valuation and distribution of property
- Delays in sales of real estate and other assets
- Delays in distribution of cash and other assets
- Self-dealing and conflict of interest
- Theft of assets
- Breach of fiduciary duty by an executor
Many disputes can be avoided through careful estate planning. For example, co-ownership of real estate commonly leads to disputes and deserves close attention while family members are still getting along.
Our law firm represents clients in Greater Houston, Harris County and beyond. We often advise executors and beneficiaries living in other states concerning their Texas real estate and assets.
CONTACT AN ESTATE DISTRIBUTION DISPUTES ATTORNEY IN HOUSTON
Our law office is located in the Galleria area of Houston, with free on-site parking available next to our office building. We provide a complimentary — and confidential — initial consultation to all new potential clients.
To schedule an appointment with one of our lawyers, call 713-783-7444 or send us an email.