Business Succession & Business Transactions
As the baby boom generation retires, an unprecedented number of businesses are expected to change hands over the next 20 years. Meanwhile, a new generation of entrepreneurs are forming and acquiring businesses. Whether you are getting out of the game, getting into the game or passing the reins of a family business, you need savvy legal counsel to protect your business and personal interests.
The Law Offices of Kennedy & Jackson offers comprehensive services to business owners, including business formation, business transactions, business succession planning and related personal estate planning. Our clients include professionals, small-business owners and family-owned businesses in Greater Houston and Harris County, Texas.
BUSINESS SUCCESSION AND BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS LAW FIRM IN HARRIS COUNTY
Partnership agreements, operating agreements and shareholder agreements have become more sophisticated and nuanced to protect the stakeholders. Those same protections can complicate transfers such as retirement, buying out a partner or acquiring someone else’s business. Our experienced attorneys can help on the front end or when problems arise:
- Business organization — We assist with entity selection and other considerations for forming or reorganizing a limited liability company (LLC), partnership or corporation.
- Buy-sell agreements — Owners of family businesses and other closely held businesses need structured protection and an exit strategy in the event of divorce, incapacity or death.
- Business transactions — We advise clients in buying or selling an ownership stake in a business or professional practice.
- Real estate transactions — We protect client interests in residential and commercial property transactions, including generational transfers and probate liquidations.
- Employee contracts — We help business owners lock down key employees and protect proprietary information through restrictive covenants and other agreements.
Business succession planning is comparable to estate planning for your company. For many of the same reasons you need a will or trust, your business needs a succession plan. A business succession plan contributes to the continued prosperity of your company.
At Kennedy & Jackson, our lawyers have helped counsel many family-held businesses on the effective transfer of ownership, and have helped many other business entities increase their bottom line through effective planning techniques. If you own a business, contactus today to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss better options for your company.
There are many taxes that can be incurred in the transfer of ownership if proper planning steps are not taken to minimize these costs. Death, divorce and other events can cause the value of a successful company to plummet. However, with effective plans in place, the value of your company will be maximized and you can also avoid creating difficult family situations. At Kennedy & Jackson, we want to help make sure you are protected. Work with us and feel confident that you are making the best decisions possible about the future of your company.
We structure complex transfer strategies, including drafting of effective buy-sell agreements. These buy-sell documents are essential to protect your company and make sure that your company will survive. We want you to be confident that your business is protected for anticipated transfers as well as unforeseen events that can occur. Buy-sell agreements provide instructions and planning for the distribution of assets in the event of the death or disability of a company’s owner. We draft these plans to protect the interests of the owner’s family, estate, and the other owners in the company.
Whether you are looking to protect the best interests of your loved ones, save your company for the sake of your employees, or just avoid paying unnecessary estate taxes, we can help. Contact ustoday to schedule a free initial consultation.